Subject: Re: bug#36729: 27.0.50; Unclear total in directory listing

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2019 17:29:47 +0300

> From: Mattias Engdegård <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2019 10:19:13 +0200
> Cc: [email-masked], Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>,
>         Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
> 
> 19 juli 2019 kl. 14.16 skrev Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>:
> > 
> > Feel free to suggest a clarification in the doc string of 'dired'.
> 
> Frankly, I wouldn't know what to write. That the number should be ignored? We'd better remove it in the first place.

(Your reaction seems to imply that I said something silly.  Did I?)

Your original report was about the unclear units of the value, so a
useful clarification would be to tell something about those units.
That is what I had in mind when I suggested a doc clarification.

> Migrating to a fully built-in directory lister seems to be the only
> sane way out, and it's considerably more work than I anticipated for
> this little detail.

We already have ls-lisp.el.  It isn't used on platforms where 'ls' is
available because AFAIK using 'ls' is faster.