Subject: bug#36725: 26.1; Emacs can't connect to gnu elpa

From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2019 10:14:20 -0400

Tim Cross <[email-masked]> writes:

> Should have be a little clearer. That work-around causes all https
> connections to fail. As you will see from the error I posted, that error
> was from melpa, which works without that setting. The same error with
> elpa.gnu.org as well.  Without that setting, the melpa https connection
> works and only the elpa https connection fails.

> On Fri, 19 Jul 2019 at 22:09, Tim Cross <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> gnutls.el: (err=[-50] The request is invalid.) boot: (:priority
>> "NORMAL:-VERS-TLS1.3" :hostname melpa.org :loglevel 0 :min-prime-bits 256
>> :trustfiles (/etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt) :crlfiles nil :keylist nil
>> :verify-flags nil :verify-error nil :callbacks nil)

That's the behaviour I would expect for gnutls versions 3.6.2 and
earlier (because gnutls only started supporting TLS1.3 at version
3.6.3).  But you said

> My GNUTLS version looks to be 3.6.5. This is a Ubuntu 19.04 system (which
> was released last April) with all updates applied.

so that seems a little strange.  Does libgnutls-version have the 30605
value?  Can you also show the output from

    ldd $(which emacs) | grep gnutls