Subject: 26.1; Emacs can't connect to gnu elpa

From: Lennard Henze <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2019 21:28:45 +0200

Trying to use "use-package" to install evil-mode. use-package showed:
cant access: https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/undo-tree.html :Bad request
Tryed to package-install w/o use-package: other repos worked,
elpa.gnu.org did not work. tried other repos:
first popkit @ http://elpa.popkit.org/packages/ ... did not work, same
problem
than tried http://elpa.emacs-china.org/gnu/ ... did work, no idea why
https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/undo-tree.html was available the whole
time with curl, and even with emacs built in browser.
dont know if it really is a bug, but i tried trubbleshooting other stuff
on my os (5.2.1-arch1-1-ARCH). First had emacs 26.2, than downgraded to
26.1 bug was in both versions.

Fresh install, only change is .emacs:
(setq package-archives
'(("gnu" . "http://elpa.emacs-china.org/gnu/")
("melpa" . "https://melpa.org/packages/")
("org" . "https://orgmode.org/elpa/")))

(require 'package)
(package-initialize)

(unless (package-installed-p 'use-package)
(package-refresh-contents)
(package-install 'use-package))

(require 'use-package)

(use-package evil
:ensure t
:config
(evil-mode 1))
(custom-set-variables
'(package-selected-packages
(quote
(ghci-completion bnf-mode yasnippet undo-tree use-package))))
(custom-set-faces
)

Hope this helps!
Thanks for doing this :)

In GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.7)
of 2019-03-17 built on juergen
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12005000
Recent messages:
user-error: Not defining or executing kbd macro
Building list of manual directory expansions...
Building completion list of all manual topics...
Quit
Making completion list...
Quit
Type C-w C-o to remove help window.
Type "q" in help window to restore its previous buffer.
delete-backward-char: Text is read-only [2 times]
Making completion list... [2 times]

Configured using:
'configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
--localstatedir=/var --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xft --with-modules
'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong
-fno-plt' CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY
ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
GTK3 X11 MODULES THREADS LIBSYSTEMD LCMS2

Important settings:
value of $LC_COLLATE: C
value of $LC_TIME: de_DE.UTF-8
value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
shell-dirtrack-mode: t
evil-mode: t
evil-local-mode: t
global-undo-tree-mode: t
undo-tree-mode: t
override-global-mode: t
tooltip-mode: t
global-eldoc-mode: t
electric-indent-mode: t
mouse-wheel-mode: t
tool-bar-mode: t
menu-bar-mode: t
file-name-shadow-mode: t
global-font-lock-mode: t
blink-cursor-mode: t
auto-composition-mode: t
auto-encryption-mode: t
auto-compression-mode: t
buffer-read-only: t
line-number-mode: t
transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail eieio-opt speedbar sb-image
ezimage dframe find-func help-fns apropos woman man macros pp cus-edit
cus-start cus-load wid-edit evil evil-keybindings evil-integration
evil-maps evil-commands ffap reveal flyspell ispell evil-jumps
evil-command-window evil-types evil-macros evil-repeat evil-search
evil-ex shell pcomplete evil-states evil-core advice evil-common
windmove thingatpt rect evil-digraphs evil-vars tar-mode undo-tree
warnings edmacro kmacro diff cl compile comint ansi-color ring elec-pair
autoload radix-tree lisp-mnt mm-archive message dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-utils network-stream starttls url-http tls gnutls
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr url-gw
nsm rmc puny url-cache url-auth url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap cl-extra
help-mode use-package use-package-ensure use-package-delight
use-package-diminish use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode
use-package-core finder-inf info package easymenu epg-config
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win
x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 444813 39048)
(symbols 48 34765 2)
(miscs 40 141 358)
(strings 32 119393 15581)
(string-bytes 1 2904208)
(vectors 16 31047)
(vector-slots 8 706702 34064)
(floats 8 87 292)
(intervals 56 777 0)
(buffers 992 19))