Subject: bug#36717: 25.3; greek.el: deprecated vowel+oxia combinations should be replaced with vowel+tonos counterparts

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2019 12:33:52 +0300

> Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2019 10:58:24 +0200
> From: Robert Alessi <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> I went through almost all the documents that are listed here:
> https://unicode.org/versions/ (in reverse chronological order), and
> couldn't find any statement of Greek oxia being deprecated in favor of
> tonos, contrary to what is claimed here:
> https://wiki.digitalclassicist.org/Greek_Unicode_duplicated_vowels

So the basic claim that started this issue is no longer valid?  IOW,
this assertion:

  As of 2016, the latest versions of Unicode (as of 2016) have now
  formally deprecated and removed the vowel+oxia combinations from the
  Greek extended range, leaving only the vowel+tonos from the basic Greek
  and Coptic range.

is not really accurate?

> One question remains—and I wish to express my gratitude to all of you,
> Robert, Basil and Eli: since assigning vowels with tonos and vowels
> with oxia to the same code points is clearly unacceptable even if the
> glyphs may be identical, is there a way to input tonos and vowels with
> tonos with emacs?  I use greek-ibycus4, but if other input methods
> can handle these letters, I would consider any change unnecessary.

"C-x RET 8" would be the immediate answer, IIUC.

But I'm still studying the issue, so maybe I'm missing something.