Subject: Re: bug#36717: 25.3; greek.el: deprecated vowel+oxia combinations should be replaced with vowel+tonos counterparts

From: Robert Alessi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2019 22:19:48 +0200

On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 07:19:04PM +0100, Basil L. Contovounesios wrote:
> Robert Alessi <[email-masked]> writes:
> > Very well spotted.  Actually, the latter is the right one—that is:
> > Greek Tonos, U+0384—while the former, Greek Oxia (U+1FFD) belongs to
> > the group that was deprecated.  So it is the other way round: keep the
> > former, and make the latter go.
> 
> AFAICT the link you provided does not say anything about oxia the
> standalone character.

You are perfectly right.  If it were up to me I would recommend to
keep all those characters that were considered as duplicates.  I quote
here from this page[^1]:

     A false distinction was introduced to Unicode between the oxia
     (acute) and tonos, resulting in wrongly duplicated code
     points. See Greek Unicode duplicated vowels for a full
     discussion.

So strictly speaking, oxia alone is not yet removed from Unicode.  But
as alpha, epsilon, eta, iota, omicron upsilon omega with oxia were
allegedly deprecated *and removed* from the Greek extended range, I
would say that oxia alone does not have much to live.

[^1]: https://wiki.digitalclassicist.org/Unicode_for_ancient_languages
> 
> I'm still interested in seeing some documentation on this deprecation
> that is not from digitalclassicist.org.

That, according to digitalclassicist.org, of course.  I will try to
see if I find anything of relevance on unicode.org and report back.

Robert

> Thanks,
> -- 
> Basil