Subject: bug#36717: 25.3; greek.el: deprecated vowel+oxia combinations should be replaced with vowel+tonos counterparts

From: Robert Alessi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2019 11:03:10 +0200

As of 2016, the latest versions of Unicode (as of 2016) have now
formally deprecated and removed the vowel+oxia combinations from the
Greek extended range, leaving only the vowel+tonos from the basic Greek
and Coptic range.

As a result of this deprecation, the sixteen characters found in
greek.el (Quail package for inputting Greek) that use extended
codepoints should be replaced with those that use basic codepoints.  All
affected characters can be found here:
-->
https://wiki.digitalclassicist.org/Greek_Unicode_duplicated_vowels#Affected_characters

Although most Unicode Greek fonts display both versions identically, in
some cases, not using basic codepoints can break advanced features such
as alternate forms in Greek script.  To take an example, if some feature
is supposed to distinguish between regular and `curly' *beta* (β/ϐ) so
as to print the `curly' shape if the *beta* is found in medial position,
the substitution will succeed in βάρβαρος, but fail in λάβρος just
because of the extended codepoint of ά that is used by `greek.el`.

Best,

Robert

---------------------------------------------------------------
In GNU Emacs 25.3.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.12)
 of 2018-05-26 built on wsc_andre
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11906000
System Description:	Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xft --with-modules
 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong
 -fno-plt' CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS
NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 MODULES

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: fr_FR.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  global-linum-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Loading linum...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Making completion list...
Quit
Making completion list...
report-emacs-bug-insert-to-mailer: Subject, To or body not found
delete-backward-char: Text is read-only
completing-read-default: Command attempted to use minibuffer while in minibuffer
Quit [3 times]

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message idna dired format-spec rfc822
mml mml-sec password-cache epg gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils linum
cus-start cus-load edmacro kmacro reftex reftex-vars iso-transl server
finder-inf tex-site info package epg-config seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cl-extra help-mode easymenu cconv cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib
time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 186681 12333)
 (symbols 48 25396 0)
 (miscs 40 148 144)
 (strings 32 46038 6600)
 (string-bytes 1 1175040)
 (vectors 16 17760)
 (vector-slots 8 518374 6741)
 (floats 8 202 250)
 (intervals 56 294 17)
 (buffers 976 20))

-- 
Robert Alessi
CNRS UMR 8167 «Orient & Méditerranée» (Paris)