Subject: Re: bug#36717: 25.3; greek.el: deprecated vowel+oxia combinations should be replaced with vowel+tonos counterparts

From: Robert Alessi <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2019 16:45:52 +0200

On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 05:26:59PM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > We donʼt provide both forms within the same input method.
> 
> I don't see why this would be a problem.  We should provide the
> variant expected by modern Greek in the input methods which target
> modern Greek, and the variants for Classic Greek in input methods
> which target that.  Bonus points for providing at least some of the
> other variants in each type of the input methods.
> 
> > The question is whether we should provide both, or provide only
> > tonos, since letter + oxia were allegedly added by mistake, hence
> > standalone oxia should not be produced. Or we could change nothing.
> 
> I don't see that everyone agrees it was a mistake, and in any case
> both variants are still in usage.  So I see no need to change
> anything.

In my opinion, providing oxeia in the first place for classic Greek
was very right.  The distinction must be kept as some fonts render
tonoi and oxeiai very differently.