Subject: bug#36717: 25.3; greek.el: deprecated vowel+oxia combinations should be replaced with vowel+tonos counterparts

From: Robert Alessi <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2019 15:31:22 +0200

On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 04:00:33PM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Bottom line, after reading this thread and related material on the
> net, I must say I don't understand what might be wrong with our
> current Greek input methods.  It sounds like we allow users to type
> both characters with tonos and with oxia, and leave it to them to
> decide which one(s) they need.  I see nothing wrong with that, because
> only the user can know what they need.
> 
> Can someone please point out what am I missing?  Preferably with
> concrete examples of characters and input methods used to type them.
> 
> TIA

This is only my opinion, but since I am the one who started this
discussion, I must emphasize that the approach described above sounds
me right.  At first, being unable to get some substitution rules to
work in a Greek font using the oxia variants, and without knowing
tonos variants existed, I thought that emacs was using deprecated
variants after I came across the page of digitalclassicist.org on
``duplicated vowels''.  Further reading showed that this page leads to
some confusion.

As said in an earlier email, tonos and oxia refer to very different
systems, and only the latter should be used for classical Greek, even
if nowadays there is no visual distinction between the two.

If I understand correctly, greek-ibycus4 which I use is exclusively
designed for classical Greek input, but emacs also provides other
input methods should one wishes to input modern Greek with tonoi.

So as far as I can tell, there is nothing to change.