Subject: bug#36714: 27.0.50; Gnus nnmaildir taking long time to recursively visit sub-Maildirs

From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2019 09:37:41 +0200

* Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]> [2019-07-22 19:42]:
> > Would it be possible to do custom directory filtering in the
> > 'directory-files' virtual server setting of the nnmaildir backend?
> 
> It might also be possible to make the building of nov files incremental:
> ie only create them as messages are actually viewed. It would slow down
> first-time viewing, and potentially fill up the same amount of disk
> space, if you view all messages, but at least you'd have an operational
> maildir installation faster.

But why making it complex when it is not?

That is contradictory to Maildir "standards". There is nothing to do
to the Maildir directory but to read the To/From/Date/Subject to make the index of
it.

Then by clicking on the particular mail, it would open the file.

Anything else is not "maildir standard". It should warn
user that it makes much more to Maildir files than it is expected by
standard. 

With my 47708 maildirs, it created this many directories inside, and
duplicated the disk space that I was using.

In regards to info page "articles are deleted after one week"... I am
really worried about that.

Email messages are named articles, this creates confusion, and that
would further mean that some email messages which are supposed to
stay, would be deleted unless user is skilled to configure the
parameters.

In general Gnus is not usable and is dangerous to Maildirs. It creates
complexities where no such are required and necessary.

Jean