Subject: bug#36704: 27.0.50; Error retrieving: https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/archive-contents

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2019 09:54:55 -0400

M-x package-list-packages RET U

results in

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Error retrieving: https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/archive-contents (error connection-failed \"connect\" ...")
  signal(error ("Error retrieving: https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/ar..."))
  #f(compiled-function (status) #<bytecode 0x1fe486625009>)((:error (error connection-failed "connect" :host "elpa.gnu.org" :service 443)))
  apply(#f(compiled-function (status) #<bytecode 0x1fe486625009>) (:error (error connection-failed "connect" :host "elpa.gnu.org" :service 443)))
  url-http-activate-callback()
  url-http-async-sentinel(#<process elpa.gnu.org> "connect")
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

I can get the URL in the browser, so it shouldn't be a network problem

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 7, x86_64-apple-darwin18.6.0, NS appkit-1671.50 Version 10.14.5 (Build 18F203))
 of 2019-07-17 built on BZ-C02XR5CGJG5L
Repository revision: 87b1495f307b91226dda63ce7c117fed6a396768
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1671
System Description:  Mac OS X 10.14.5

Recent messages:
Done in background: git --no-pager ls-files -z -o --directory --no-empty-directory --exclude-standard -- . [3 times]
Wrote /Users/sam.steingold/.emacs.elc
Waiting for refresh to finish...
Package refresh done
Packages marked for upgrading: 4
Entering debugger...
Mark set
mwheel-scroll: End of buffer [2 times]
mwheel-scroll: Beginning of buffer [2 times]
Status: available

Configured using:
 'configure --with-mailutils --with-ns
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/opt/libxml2/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/imagemagick/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/gnutls/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/jansson/lib/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
NOTIFY KQUEUE ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS THREADS
JSON PDUMPER LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: C
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Debugger

Minor modes in effect:
  pyvenv-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  global-edit-server-edit-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  url-handler-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort bbdb-message mailalias cookie1 mail-extr gnus-msg gnus-art
mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo
gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo
gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win emacsbug sendmail browse-url
cl-print debug backtrace find-func mm-archive message rfc822 mml mml-sec
epa derived epg gmm-utils mailheader mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
gnutls network-stream url-http mail-parse rfc2231 url-gw nsm rmc puny
url-cache url-auth url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap finder-inf add-log
remember make-mode cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles
cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs flyspell ispell yaml-mode dired-aux
score-mode vc-dir ewoc vc vc-dispatcher conf-mode company-oddmuse
company-keywords company-etags company-gtags company-dabbrev-code
company-dabbrev company-files company-cmake company-xcode company-clang
company-eclim company-template company-bbdb yasnippet-snippets cl-extra
yasnippet elec-pair flymake-proc flymake warnings company-capf company
pcase help-fns radix-tree help-mode elpy edmacro kmacro
find-file-in-project ivy delsel colir color ivy-overlay ffap windmove
elpy-shell pyvenv eshell esh-cmd esh-ext esh-opt esh-proc esh-io esh-arg
esh-module esh-groups esh-util elpy-profile elpy-django s elpy-refactor
ido grep etags fileloop generator xref project cus-edit python tramp-sh
tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat
shell pcomplete parse-time ls-lisp format-spec vc-git diff-mode
easy-mmode inf-ruby thingatpt compile comint ansi-color ring ruby-mode
smie dired dired-loaddefs midnight gnus nnheader gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums text-property-search time-date
mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit bbdb-mua bbdb-com crm mailabbrev
bbdb bbdb-site timezone edit-server advice server which-func imenu paren
help-at-pt desktop frameset cus-start cus-load cl info package easymenu
epg-config url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core
cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq
byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip eldoc
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/ns-win
ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode
elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu
font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue cocoa ns lcms2
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1404824 32652)
 (symbols 48 32798 1)
 (strings 32 332016 13634)
 (string-bytes 1 8032483)
 (vectors 16 85279)
 (vector-slots 8 1159854 11848)
 (floats 8 440 159)
 (intervals 56 144247 1496)
 (buffers 992 79))

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on darwin Ns 10.3.1671
http://childpsy.net http://calmchildstories.com http://steingoldpsychology.com
http://jij.org http://islamexposedonline.com http://camera.org
Never argue with an idiot, listeners may not be able to tell the difference.