Subject: Re: bug#36696: 26.2; query-replace error

From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2019 11:23:46 -0400

tags 36696 = fixed
close 36696 27.1
quit

Theodore Ehrenborg <[email-masked]> writes:

> I looked over Bug#36328, and that problem seems a lot like mine. That bug
> was addressed with a patch in Emacs 27, so I installed the most recent
> version (in two ways, directly from https://github.com/emacs-mirror/emacs
> and also through brew). Both versions of Emacs 27 (technically, they are
> the same version, commit 45fc6f2) do not produce the error, which is great.

Okay, closing this report then.

> Den lör 20 juli 2019 kl 12:39 skrev Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>:
>
>> > From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
>> >
>> > I can't reproduce it here, but it sounds similar to Bug#36328, which
>> > depends on which faces are loaded.
>>
>> You mean colors, not faces, right?

I guess so, I didn't actually pay that much attention to the details.

>> And that bug was on TTY frames, whereas this one isn't, so I'm not
>> sure it's the same problem.  I suspect MacTeX installs something that
>> affects even "emacs -Q", though.  Or maybe it's macOS port that does.

I think in both cases something modifies the match-data during
query-replace, so the same fix is applicable to both bugs.  The
particular thing which is responsible for modifying match-data may be
different in each case, but I don't think it's very important to find
out exactly what it was.