Subject: bug#36678: 27.0.50; imenu not working in C++ (maybe because of namespace)

From: Paul Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2019 09:56:13 -0400

On Sat, 2019-08-03 at 23:01 -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:
>   > And then suggest that for users who have more
>   > complex requirements (for example their code cannot meet these
>   > simplifying assumptions) that they should investigate more
>   > sophisticated setups based on LSP (or whatever they like).
> 
> Instead of giving up, let's design additional simplifying conventions.

Simplifying conventions are only workable if they are used throughout
the codebase.  If you have a one-man development team that's fine but 
convincing a larger team to adjust their coding conventions to support
one editor is generally not feasible.

In any event as Eli mentioned this bug report is probably not the place
to have this discussion: I'm happy to move it to an FSF discussion list
if we want to have a deeper conversation.

And again I don't want to discourage anyone from working on what they
find enjoyable.  If cc-mode can be taught to handle namespaces
reasonably so much the better.  But if not, there are good (free
software) options available for Emacs so that's OK too.