Subject: bug#36678: 27.0.50; imenu not working in C++ (maybe because of namespace)

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2019 22:25:27 -0400

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

  > The future (again IMO) for indexing and code introspection is in LSP:
  > there are very good LSP servers for C++ that are free (I use ccls
  > personally) and there are also very good LSP clients for Emacs (I use
  > lsp-mode).

Using a server to do your ocmputing job is bad for your freedom
(unless it's your own server).  We call it Service as a Software Substitute
(https://gnu.org/philosophy/who-does-that-server-really-serve.html).

Since you don't control the code running someone else's service.  it
is never "free" the way a program can be free.  It's not a solution,
it's a problem.

  >   And of course there are LSP servers for many languages
  > which can all be used with the same LSP client.  Since the servers are
  > external (ccls is based on clang)

That is not a moral issue but it is something we don't want to support.
Let's make GNU Emacs do a better job of this.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation (https://gnu.org, https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)