Subject: Re: bug#36670: 27.0.50; Wishlist: describe-face should use the new help-buffer infrastructure

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2019 09:44:51 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> What does this mean in practice?  I see nothing about this in NEWS or
> in the manuals, which makes me wonder how is this "more flexible".  I
> guess there were some discussions, but neither the log message nor the
> bug discussion mentions any other sources of information.  Could you
> please point to those discussions, or fill the void by explaining what
> additional flexibility do we gain?  This is for future forensics, if
> for nothing else.

I don't think this was discussed much at all -- it relates to the
rewrite Stefan did in April, and he mentioned (in a comment to a fix to
`describe-face') that that function should be rewritten in a similar way.

commit 896e5802160c2797e689a7565599ebb1bd171295
Author: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date:   Fri Apr 12 12:37:00 2019 -0400

    * lisp/help-fns.el (help-fns-describe-variable-functions): New hook
    
    (help-fns--compiler-macro, help-fns--parent-mode, help-fns--obsolete)
    (help-fns--interactive-only): Indent output by 2 spaces.
    (help-fns--side-effects): New function extracted from
    describe-function-1.
    (help-fns-describe-function-functions): Use it.
    (help-fns--first-release, help-fns--mention-first-release): New functions.
    (help-fns-function-description-header): Keymaps and macros can't
    be interactive.
    (help-fns--ensure-empty-line): New function.
    (describe-function-1): Use it.
    (help-fns--var-safe-local, help-fns--var-risky)
    (help-fns--var-ignored-local, help-fns--var-file-local)
    (help-fns--var-watchpoints, help-fns--var-obsolete)
    (help-fns--var-alias, help-fns--var-bufferlocal): New functions,
    extacted from describe-variable.
    (describe-variable): Run help-fns-describe-variable-functions instead.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no