Subject: bug#36659: closed (There should be an unattended upgrades service)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2020 16:41:02 +0000

Your bug report

#36659: There should be an unattended upgrades service

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
36659: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=36659
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: There should be an unattended upgrades service
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2020 17:40:44 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

One was added by Ludo' in commit 
79501f26ab6d82c0256ff786a5dfb0000b52ccd3.

The unrelated (CVE) or enhancement (NM integration) suggestions 
upthread are separate topics.  Closing!

Kind regards,

T G-R

Subject: There should be an unattended upgrades service
From: "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2019 12:17:11 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Some users (want to) forget about regularly upgrading Guix System.
There should be an unattended upgrades service.  Some requirements
come to mind for its configuration:

1) Some users may want their unattended upgrades service to take care
just of reconfiguring from a recent checkout and some may want it to
take care of updating users’ ~/.config/guix/current and ~/guix-profile
profiles.

2) Maybe there should be libnotify integration for unattended
upgrades if the user uses a desktop environment.

3) Updates may fail if there is no internet connection.  Some users
may *not* want upgrades on metered internet connections.  Some users
may *not* want upgrades over untrusted connections.

This report is a followup to Ludo’s proposal at
<https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/36636> to add such a service and
add it to %desktop-services, making it the default setting.  Such a
change in defaults could be a bad surprise for some users and should
not go unnoticed, I think.

Regards,
Florian