Subject: Re: bug#36659: There should be an unattended upgrades service

From: Arne Babenhauserheide <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2019 15:23:35 +0200

Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Further, an automatic upgrade service wouldn't really add anything
>> useful, since cron jobs and scripts can already be used to automate
>> upgrading if one so desires.
>
> I disagree.  We provide a whole lot of services that aren’t strictly
> necessary in order to satisfy what we think are reasonable user
> expectations.  An upgrade service that’s easily removed or configured
> seems nicer to me than having to muck about with cron jobs and scripts
> by myself.

I would most of all like to see a CVE-checking service that tells me
about security updates. Sometimes I’ll ignore updates for a few weeks
because I have a setup that absolutely must keep working, because I
could not even afford half an hour of brokenness, but I must still do
security updates, and I would like Guix to tell me about those.

Also it would be interesting to have an auto-update service that only
updates /run/current-system

That way users would only have to worry about their personal
installations, but not about the underlying base-system. I think there
are many users who would be most happy if they never had to sudo.

Best wishes,
Arne
-- 
Unpolitisch sein
heißt politisch sein
ohne es zu merken