Subject: Re: bug#36654: Docview: show current zoom % in the modeline bar

From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2019 20:34:27 +0200

積丹尼 Dan Jacobson <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Dan,

>        + runs the command doc-view-enlarge (found in doc-view-mode-map),
>        which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in ‘doc-view.el’.
>
> OK good, but those plus and minuses should put the current zoom scale
> (200%, etc.) into the mode line. (Plenty of room there.)  In fact
> perhaps start by showing "100%" there even before we start zooming.
>
> (Please do something to make it look different to the user than the
> "what percent of the file am I looking at" item in the modeline (even
> if not ever present at the same time.) Maybe say: "Zoom 55%".)

I'd argue that the percentage is not interesting at all.  I mean, what
you want is a level of scaling that makes the text good to read for your
eyes, no matter if that's 55% or 200%.  Who cares?

And I actually don't know what a zoom level of 100% should be.  The
initial size when opening a document for the first time?  That depends
on `doc-view-resolution'...

Bye,
Tassilo