Subject: [bug#36653] [PATCH v2] guix import stackage: default to a LTS release compatible with GHC 8.4

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2019 15:52:53 +0200

Hi Robert,

Too bad this patch is still in the queue!  I’m not familiar with
Stackage but I trust your judgment.  One minor comment:

Robert Vollmert <[email-masked]> skribis:

> In particular, this means that guix lint won't warn to update to
> versions that won't necessarily fit our package set well.
>
> Also some minor clean-up tweaks.
>
> * guix/import/stackage.scm (%stackage-url): Change to https, avoiding
> redirect log messages.
> (%default-lts-version): New field.
> (stackage-lts-info-fetch, stackage->guix-package, latest-lts-release): Use it.
> (lts-info-ghc-version): Remove unused function.
> (lts-info-packages, latest-lts-release): Fix documentation typos.

[...]

> +;;; Latest LTS version compatible with bundled ghc version.
> +(define %default-lts-version "12.26")

What about storing this elsewhere?  Perhaps in the ‘properties’ field of
the ‘ghc’ package?  That should make it easier to keep these numbers in
sync.

Besides, it’s usually clearer to separate unrelated cleanups, but it’s
no big deal in this case.

Thanks,
Ludo’.