Subject: Re: bug#36651: 12.1.2; isearch with TeX-fold-mode and outline-minor-mode

From: Gustavo Barros <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2021 10:52:55 -0300

Hi Ikumi, (or Keita? I'm never sure. Sorry if I got it wrong.)

On Tue, 08 Jun 2021 at 10:23, Ikumi Keita <[email-masked]> wrote:

> [ Ralf, I have a question I'd like to ask you. Please see below. ]
>
> Hi Gustavo, sorry to be very late to respond.
>
>>>>>> Gustavo Barros <[email-masked]> writes:
>> When both TeX-fold-mode and outline-minor-mode are used together, if
>> the outline is folded, the usual unfolding of candidates of isearch
>> does not work, that is, temporary unfolding of the region where the
>> current candidate is does not happen. The unfolding of the region of
>> the selected candidate also does not happen.
>
> I can observe the behavior you described. It seems that this issue is
> caused because `TeX-fold-mode' sets `search-invisible' to t 
> locally. It
> doesn't occur if that value is changed from t to `open', as the 
> attached
> patch does. The value `open' is default value of `search-invisible'.

Thank you for looking into this.

> However, I'm not yet sure whether to apply this patch, since it seems
> the current code deliberately chooses the value t, disliking the 
> default
> value `open'.
>
> Ralf, do you remember why you chose t, not the default value of 
> `open',
> for `search-invisible' when you wrote `TeX-fold-mode'?

I'm also not sure why `search-invisible' is actively set to t.  But, if 
it turns out to be non-essential to do so, another possibility you may 
want consider, instead of setting it to `open' as in the patch, is to 
just not set `search-invisible' in the mode, since it is a defcustom 
whose default value already is `open' (so why override the user's 
option?).

Best regards,
Gustavo.