Subject: bug#36649: 27.0.50; pure space and pdumper

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2022 14:41:01 +0200

Po Lu <[email-masked]> writes:

> Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Which GNU/Linux distribution is that?
>
> The reporter used Debian.

According to:

  https://www.debian.org/ports/m68k/

  The Debian m68k port was first officially released with Debian 2.0
  (hamm) and was an official port until Debian 4.0 (etch). There's now
  an effort to revive this port.

Debian 4.0 was over a decade ago, so either they were using Debian from
2010, or they're part of the effort to revive the port.

Hm...  Ah!

  https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=emacs&arch=m68k&ver=1%3A27.1%2B1-3&stamp=1604857999&raw=0

This isn't a report from somebody using Emacs on m68k, but a Debian
developer trying to revive the port.  (Which has not happened.)

So it seems safe to assume that nobody uses Emacs on m68k.

>> Anyway, I don't feel that carrying around unexec just for m68k is
>> warranted -- it's a super duper marginal platform, and probably isn't
>> used for real work by anybody.  (So they can use older Emacs versions if
>> they absolutely have to.)
>
> unexec isn't doing any harm by itself, so there's no reason to not keep
> it.  I don't forsee much trouble in keeping pure space behind a few
> ifdefs; it should be a mostly mechanical job.

But Eli doesn't want to get rid of purespace (which we do want to) until
we get rid of unexec, so unexec is blocking progress in that sense.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no