Subject: Re: bug#36649: 27.0.50; pure space and pdumper

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2022 13:40:08 +0300

> From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>,  Pip Cet <[email-masked]>,
>   [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2022 18:28:40 +0800
> 
> Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > If I understand correctly, dropping pure space would make Po's work on
> > improving the garbage collector easier -- and improving gc is important,
> > so it seems to make sense to get rid of pure space just for that reason.
> >
> > But I'm not against dropping unexec now, too -- we can drop both unexec
> > and pure space now.
> 
> FWIW none of the dumping mechanisms work with the new garbage collector,
> but it will be optional, since I don't see how to make it work on MS-DOS
> (which AFAIU has no equivalent of `mprotect').

The C library and the environment used by the MS-DOS port do have
mprotect, but it is only supported with some DPMI servers, and the
MS-Windows DPMI server is not one of them.

But I don't think this is too relevant, since memory protection in
MS-DOS is more or less a no-op.