Subject: Re: bug#36649: 27.0.50; pure space and pdumper

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2021 15:07:42 -0400

>> > Keeping unexec doesn't mean breaking it.  If we believe someone might
>> > need that configuration, then we should give them a full-fledged
>> > Emacs, not a crippled one.
>> 
>> Removing pure space from unexec builds doesn't make them
>> crippled, AFAIK.
>
> I just don't want to risk that, not at all.  Because if we are missing
> something, it will require efforts I'd rather put elsewhere.

I can see a risk that removing purespace will break unexec because of
some oversight of some detail somewhere (simply because it's
a configuration that's basically never tested), but I can't imagine the
breakage to be hard to fix: running without purespace has been used
during the bootstrap for many many years, both with pdump and with
unexec, so it's really not "special".

The only real consequence will be a slightly worse performance, but no
worse than what we get with pdump anyway ;-)

        Stefan