Subject: bug#36649: 27.0.50; pure space and pdumper

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2021 20:25:21 +0200

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hm...  I wonder whether it would be easy to get some numbers.  I'll try
> to get an unexec build (without purespace) running and see how bad it is.

Easier said than done.  Is this how it's supposed to be done?

./configure --with-unexec=yes --with-dumping=unexec

In that case, Emacs just segfaults:

make[2]: Entering directory '/home/larsi/src/emacs/pure/lisp'
  ELC      international/titdic-cnv.elc
Fatal error 11: Segmentation fault
Backtrace:
../src/bootstrap-emacs[0x525571]
../src/bootstrap-emacs[0x4203b6]
../src/bootstrap-emacs[0x420889]
../src/bootstrap-emacs[0x523b5d]
../src/bootstrap-emacs[0x523bd9]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0(+0x14140)[0x7f3d1517c140]

So I'm not able to build an unexec build on GNU/Linux at all.

If this is the case in general, and not just here on this
Debian/bullseye system, then I think we should consider getting rid of
both unexec and pure space now, and not wait any longer.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no