Subject: bug#36636: closed (Re: bug#36636: Tell users to update/reconfigure regularly)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2019 10:40:02 +0000

Your bug report

#36636: Tell users to update/reconfigure regularly

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
36636: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=36636
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#36636: Tell users to update/reconfigure regularly
From: "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]>
To: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2019 12:39:38 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 11:13:36AM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> It’d be great if you could open an issue for unattended upgrades (it
> could be implemented anytime, it’s not a long-term task), and close this
> one.
> 
> Thanks,
> Ludo’.

Thank you.  It’s at: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/36659

Closing.

Regards,
Florian

Subject: Tell users to update/reconfigure regularly
From: "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2019 11:35:30 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When installing Guix System from the iso image, users should be told
to pull and reconfigure regularly.  Even though it is mentioned in the
manual, not everyone reads manuals.  I believe Guix’ target users
include inexperienced users who do not know that they should update
and upgrade regularly.  Therefore the installer should tell users how
to do so and that it is important and perhaps what to do if things
break.

Of course, some users still won’t update and they should have the
liberty to decide for themselves, but some users just forget to
update.  Ubuntu defaults to automatic updates, which slow down the
machine and annoy users.  Still, maybe there should be notifications
like a cron job invoking libnotify’s notify-send.

Regards,
Florian