Subject: Re: bug#36632: ungoogled-chromium needs font-gnu-freefont-ttf

From: Martin Becze <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2019 03:34:02 -0700

On 2019-08-05 15:36, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
> Hi Martin,
> 
>> ungoogled-chromium will crash until font-gnu-freefont-ttf is installed.
> 
> Thank you for reporting this problem and proposing a patch.
> 
> I’d prefer not to propagate any fonts.  Do you happen to know what the
> mechanism underlying the fix is?  Why does this fix the problem?  Why
> does it crash in the first place?
> 
> Is this at all related to a stale font cache, perhaps?

So i got a chance to dig into this a bit. chromium needs a ttf font and
there are no fonts installed yet, so defaintly not a stale cache issue.
Chrome is crashing here
https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/master/ui/gfx/platform_font_skia.cc#97
Its using fontconfig i think. I have no idea how to get chromium to read
fonts from a custom path.