Subject: Disappearing profile?

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2019 16:04:33 +0200

Hello,

[email-masked] skribis:

> (Cross-posting to help-guix as it may be more appropriate) 

I don’t think it’s necessary.

> 13. My profile disappeared once again and guix package does not work anymore (it says "guix package: error: unsupported manifest format"). I realize that my .guix-profile/etc/profile file has been emptied. 

What do you mean by “my profile disappeared once again”?  Is the
~/.guix-profile symlink still around?  What does:

  readlink -f ~/.guix-profile

show?

Regarding the “unsupported manifest format” error: what’s the content of
~/.guix-profile/manifest?  (You previously posted the contents of
~/.config/guix/current/manifest, but it’s not relevant here.)

In general profiles cannot “disappear”.  A potential issue one may
encounter is that, if you running several “guix install” or “guix
package” commands simultaneously, one of them will “win”, meaning that
work done by the other one is discarded.  However, that cannot lead to
the “unsupported manifest format” error.

Did you happen to run several such commands in parallel?

Thanks in advance,
Ludo’.