Subject: [bug#36599] [PATCH] gnu: Add node-semver. (Updated)

From: Julien Lepiller <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2020 13:09:41 -0400

Le 15 avril 2020 11:36:06 GMT-04:00, [email-masked] a écrit :
>Hi Efraim,
>
>> Overall it looks good to me. I also checked npm¹ and it agrees that
>> there are no dependencies for this package. Do you happen to know why
>> there's a test directory installed? I don't know if it's supposed to
>be
>> there but it seems strange to me
>
>I didn't notice and I agree that tests shouldn't be installed but IIUC 
>it's a limitation of the node-build-system that copies recursively the 
>contents of the node_modules directory. I checked and it seems that 
>other packages using the node-build-system have the same problem (i.e. 
>node-color-name install test.js, node-far installs a test directory). 
>One way to fix this could be adding an extra phase (either to each 
>package or in the node-build-system with a special field indicating a 
>list of tests directories) where we delete the test directory from  
>node_modules preventing the copy.
>
>On my system I get
>
>orang3@frastanato ~/code/guix [env]$ du -sh 
>/gnu/store/5kkb1nya9ws12b2qxsn0r7904nx6v5b5-node-semver-7.2.1
>732K    /gnu/store/5kkb1nya9ws12b2qxsn0r7904nx6v5b5-node-semver-7.2.1
>
>orang3@frastanato ~/code/guix [env]$ du -sh 
>/gnu/store/5kkb1nya9ws12b2qxsn0r7904nx6v5b5-node-semver-7.2.1/lib/node_modules/semver/test/
>264K    
>/gnu/store/5kkb1nya9ws12b2qxsn0r7904nx6v5b5-node-semver-7.2.1/lib/node_modules/semver/test/
>
>which is not much but amounts nearly to 1/3 of the total disk usage of 
>semver. If you believe that another phase deleting the tests would be 
>better I attached an attempt.
>
>Giacomo

Does npm install the test.js files when run by ittself (in which case we replicate its behavior), or does it have a mechanism to know what files to install? If so we thould replicate that mecanism.