Subject: Re: [bug#36563] [PATCH] guix: Add directory to channel.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2019 12:28:41 +0200

Hello!

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]> skribis:

> I commonly use a "guix/" subdirectory in upstream that contains updated
> or modified packages.  The toplevel `guix.scm' then uses those package
> definitions.
>
> It would be nice if I could use that "guix/" subdirectory directly in a
> channel.  This means a channel definition should look in a subdirectory
> only: often an upstream source archive contains .scm files that do not
> compile (guix.scm, build-aux/*.scm, etc.)

That makes a lot of sense to me.

I think that, instead of letting the user specify the right directory in
~/.config/guix/channels.scm, it should be the channel author that
specifies the sub-directory.

There’s already support for a ‘.guix-channel’ file so this is where this
‘directory’ thing could be added (actually there’s a FIXME in
channels.scm about this particular use case :-)).

WDYT?

Ludo’.