Subject: bug#36551: [META] Run Guix System on Purism Librem 5

From: Jonathan Brielmaier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2020 19:14:49 +0100

On 10.02.20 18:51, Jesse Gibbons wrote:
> I too hope guix system can work on L5, but it looks like guix system
> itself has a long way to go. IIRC, L5 is aarch64, and there are
> problems running guix (package manager) on aarch64. If L5 is armhf
> that's possibly a little better, but it still needs a lot of work.

The Librem5 is aarch64 based. I think you mixed something here. aarch64
runs fine with Guix, armhf has some problems with Guile 3.0 ATM. So I
don't think the way is so long.

>> phoc: successful build, somehow working
>> phosh: successful build but not yet running
>> purple-mm-sms: successful build, don't know if it's working as I lack
>> modem for testing
> I think I saw somewhere in the purism docs how to emulate a modem for
> testing. I'll send a link if I find it, or you can ask in their matrix
> rooms.

Oh that is interesting. My laptop has a 3G modem (Ericsson N5321). I'll
try to test stuff with it. But I'm not sure if it supports SMS and calls
at all.

>> calls: not yet pushed, depends on updates (meson) who are not yet in
>> master, but on core-updates
> If you use this branch as a channel, you can take the necessary meson
> updates and dependencies from core-updates to test things. Just make
> sure you're prepared to rebuild the world.

I know, but I guess I'll just wait. As the phones will likely ship in
July, I have no real time pressure :P

> Another thing to consider is the bootloader. Last I checked the librem
> 5 u-boot still isn't available in the current u-boot packages.

I'm aware of that. We probably need a "custom" u-boot package for the
Librem 5.