Subject: Re: bug#36550: Small bug fix in recentf.el

From: Linus Källberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2019 16:34:29 +0000

Den 2019-07-09 kl. 15:04, skrev Lars Ingebrigtsen:
> Linus Källberg <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> Okay, makes sense. I just thought it looked a bit weird that the first
>> character on the next line is highlighted as well. At first I thought
>> something more serious was broken in Emacs, that's why I looked into it.
> 
> Oh, I didn't catch that the first character on the next line is
> highlighted.  That does indeed seem like a bug.
> 
>> A middle ground would be to move the newline but put a single space
>> before "%]" (or set :button-suffix " "), to keep the behavior described
>> in the commit message. But it's no big deal in any event :-)
> 
> Could you propose a patch that avoids the highlight on the next line?

On second thought, I don't think the real problem is in recentf.el, but 
rather in the implementation of widgets and/or faces. It makes sense to 
keep recentf.el as it is.

I'm probably not qualified to fix the bug, at least in a timely manner, 
but I did some experimenting and came up with an MWE, which is attached 
to this e-mail. Hopefully it can be of some help.

Best regards,
Linus Källberg