Subject: Re: bug#36539: elec-pair.elc gets surreptitiously loaded (almost) unconditionally at start up.

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2019 19:14:55 +0000

Hello, Eli.

Thanks for the reply.

On Sun, Jul 07, 2019 at 21:45:28 +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2019 18:29:41 +0000
> > From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
> > Cc: [email-masked]

> > Just as a matter of interest, I commented out the pertinent form in
> > emacs-lisp-mode, did a make bootstrap, emacs -Q, and elec-pair.elc was
> > still present in my Emacs.  :-(

> I cannot reproduce this.  After applying Noam's patch and just saying
> "make", "emacs -Q" doesn't load elec-pair anymore, which I verified
> both by calling featurep and by running under GDB with a breakpoint in
> Fload.

As Noam suggested, I was getting caught by
help-enable-completion-auto-load being t by default.  I tried to check
whether elec-pair.el had been loaded with C-h f electric-pair- <tab>,
which, of course loaded the file before giving me the complete list of
functions.

So, just pilot error on my part.

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).