Subject: bug#36539: elec-pair.elc gets surreptitiously loaded (almost) unconditionally at start up.

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2019 19:10:52 +0000

Hello again, Noam.

On Sun, Jul 07, 2019 at 14:47:51 -0400, Noam Postavsky wrote:
> Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]> writes:

> > Just as a matter of interest, I commented out the pertinent form in
> > emacs-lisp-mode, did a make bootstrap, emacs -Q, and elec-pair.elc was
> > still present in my Emacs.  :-(

> > I don't know why, or how, but it is.  With your patch (below), have you
> > tested whether or not elec-pair.elc hasn't been loaded on starting
> > Emacs?  If it hasn't been loaded, you've found some trick that eludes
> > me.

> How are you checking?  M-: (featurep 'elec-pair) RET returns nil for me.

Yes, it worked for me, too.  :-(

> Assuming you have help-enable-completion-auto-load set to t (the
> default), it's pretty easy to load various things just by hitting TAB in
> response to describe-function or describe-variable.

That was my problem.  I didn't know about
help-enable-completion-auto-load (which says it was new in 26.3).  I
think I will disable this in my .emacs - it seems it will cause me more
problems than it will help.  I've always used C-h f and C-h v to see an
Elisp file's autoloads.  Thanks for the tip!.

[ .... ]

> >> +  (setq-local electric-quote-string t)
> >>    (setq imenu-case-fold-search nil)
> >>    (add-function :before-until (local 'eldoc-documentation-function)
> >>                  #'elisp-eldoc-documentation-function)
> >> -- 
> >> 2.11.0

> > As a matter of interest, what is that 2.11.0 that I keep seeing at the
> > bottom of patches?

> Looks like 'git format-patch' adds the git version at the bottom.

Ah, so that's it.  Thanks!

> $ git --version
> git version 2.11.0

Thanks for the revised patch.  I'll try it.

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).