Subject: bug#36526: Previous work on this subject

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2020 23:02:58 +0200

On 17.11.2020 00:04, Juri Linkov wrote:
>>> Thanks, this is the most advanced implementation among several others.
>>> I tried it, and it does everything needed, and the code is quite compact.
>>> So I recommend to install this useful feature from the patches above.
>>
>> Could someone outline briefly how it compares to the implementation in
>> 'diff-hl-diff-skip-to'?
> 
> Improvements:
> 1. support context diffs;

IIUC that part is concentrated in the patch #1. So it should be possible 
to swap out patch #2 for the impl in diff-hl-diff-skip-to. *If* that is 
a good idea.

> 2. support multiple files in the same patch (e.g. by C-x v D);

Interesting. Personally, it's a context where I wouldn't expect this new 
behavior (when invoking the repo-wide diff, I expect to see a full 
overview and be able to page through it without calling 
beginning-of-buffer first). But to be fair, I haven't tried it in 
practice yet.

So if the implementation is smart enough and you like both aspects of 
the new behavior, don't mind me. Looking forward to seeing it in action.