Subject: Re: bug#36526: 26.2; Open diff at current location (feature request with suggested code)

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2020 01:50:34 +0300

On 15.01.2020 5:20, Stefan Kangas wrote:
> I've watched your video, and I think it looks interesting.  I would
> think it useful enough to include, and it certainly helps that you are
> willing to do the work to get it done.
> 
> Unfortunately, I'm not a heavy vc user, so I don't feel fully
> qualified to comment on this use case.
> 
> Could someone else please take a look at this proposal and give
> Campbell a more informed reply?

Speaking of the "open diff at point" feature, it's very reminiscent of 
the feature in a package of mine: 
https://github.com/dgutov/diff-hl/blob/fb9eb1cd3c4c6ed24b93de1a7cfb369d2983be74/diff-hl.el#L373-L404

And the implementation is much shorter there. So far, I don't understand 
why.

I would be happy to facilitate moving this feature to the core, but for 
obvious reasons (chiefly ease of review) I'd prefer to to be based off 
my own code. Or to see a good explanation why it's not a good choice.

If the implementation in the package above doesn't cut it for some 
reasons, similarly I'd prefer to see a patch against that code rather 
than a full reimplementation. If feasible, of course.