Subject: 12.1.2; Cannot preview document with TeX-engine: luatex

From: Luke Lau <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2019 12:33:10 +0100

I'm using the basic-tex 2019 distribution for mac, with ghostscript
installed via homebrew. C-c C-p C-d seems to fail for me on the document
below:

% -*- mode: LaTeX; TeX-engine: luatex; -*-
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{subcaption}

\begin{document}
\begin{figure}
  \caption{Hello}
\end{figure}
\end{document}

With these errors appearing in the log:

Running `Preview-DviPS' with ``dvips -Pwww test.dvi -o test.prv/tmpL7YI6q/preview.ps''
This is dvips(k) 5.999 Copyright 2019 Radical Eye Software (www.radicaleye.com)
dvips: DVI file can't be opened: test.dvi: No such file or directory

Preview-DviPS exited abnormally with code 1 at Sat Jul  6 12:30:31
DviPS sentinel: Opening input file: No such file or directory, /Users/luke/Desktop/auctex-test/test.prv/tmpL7YI6q/preview.ps

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 26.2 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin18.2.0, NS appkit-1671.20 Version 10.14.3 (Build 18D109))
 of 2019-04-12
Package: 12.1.2

Run buffer contents:

Running `Preview-LaTeX' on `test' with ``lualatex -ini  -interaction=nonstopmode "&lualatex" prv_test.ini    "\nonstopmode\nofiles\PassOptionsToPackage{active,tightpage,auctex}{preview}\AtBeginDocument{\ifx\ifPreview\undefined\RequirePackage[displaymath,floats,graphics,textmath,sections,footnotes]{preview}[2004/11/05]\fi}" "\input" "{\detokenize{" test.tex "}}"''
This is LuaTeX, Version 1.10.0 (TeX Live 2019)  (INITEX)
 restricted system commands enabled.
(./prv_test.ini
LaTeX2e <2018-12-01>

luaotfload | main : initialization completed in 0.042 seconds
(/usr/local/texlive/2019basic/texmf-dist/tex/latex/carlisle/mylatex.ltx)) (/usr/local/texlive/2019basic/texmf-dist/tex/latex/tools/.tex File ignored)
No auxiliary output files.

(./test.tex (/usr/local/texlive/2019basic/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/article.cls
Document Class: article 2018/09/03 v1.4i Standard LaTeX document class
(/usr/local/texlive/2019basic/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/size10.clo)) (/usr/local/texlive/2019basic/texmf-dist/tex/latex/caption/subcaption.sty (/usr/local/texlive/2019basic/texmf-dist/tex/latex/caption/caption.sty (/usr/local/texlive/2019basic/texmf-dist/tex/latex/caption/caption3.sty (/usr/local/texlive/2019basic/texmf-dist/tex/latex/graphics/keyval.sty)))))
Beginning to dump on file prv_test.fmt
 (format=prv_test 2019.7.6)
7151 strings using 84290 bytes
191753 memory locations dumped; current usage is 311&85691
5723 multiletter control sequences
\font\nullfont=nullfont
\font\OMX/cmex/m/n/10=cmex10
\font\tenln=line10
\font\tenlnw=linew10
\font\tencirc=lcircle10
\font\tencircw=lcirclew10
\font\OT1/cmr/m/n/5=cmr5
\font\OT1/cmr/m/n/7=cmr7
\font\OT1/cmr/m/n/10=cmr10
\font\OML/cmm/m/it/5=cmmi5
\font\OML/cmm/m/it/7=cmmi7
\font\OML/cmm/m/it/10=cmmi10
\font\OMS/cmsy/m/n/5=cmsy5
\font\OMS/cmsy/m/n/7=cmsy7
\font\OMS/cmsy/m/n/10=cmsy10
\font\TU/lmr/m/n/10=[lmroman10-regular]:+tlig;
\font\OT1/cmr/m/n/10=cmr10
\font\OT1/cmr/m/n/7=cmr7
\font\OT1/cmr/m/n/5=cmr5
\font\OML/cmm/m/it/10=cmmi10
\font\OML/cmm/m/it/7=cmmi7
\font\OML/cmm/m/it/5=cmmi5
\font\OMS/cmsy/m/n/10=cmsy10
\font\OMS/cmsy/m/n/7=cmsy7
\font\OMS/cmsy/m/n/5=cmsy5
\font\OMX/cmex/m/n/5=cmex10
\font\TU/lmr/m/n/12=[lmroman12-regular]:+tlig;
\font\TU/lmr/m/n/8=[lmroman8-regular]:+tlig;
\font\TU/lmr/bx/n/10=[lmroman10-bold]:+tlig;
\font\TU/lmr/bx/it/10=[lmroman10-bolditalic]:+tlig;
\font\TU/lmr/m/it/10=[lmroman10-italic]:+tlig;
\font\TU/lmtt/m/n/10=[lmmono10-regular]:
\font\TU/lmss/m/n/10=[lmsans10-regular]:+tlig;
32 preloaded fonts
warning  ...

[...]

	...v1.15 key=value parser (DPC)
        .
(./test.tex
No file test.aux.
(/Users/luke/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.2/latex/preview.sty (/Users/luke/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.2/latex/prtightpage.def) (/Users/luke/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.2/latex/prauctex.def
No auxiliary output files.

(/Users/luke/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.2/latex/prauctex.cfg)) (/Users/luke/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.2/latex/prfootnotes.def)
Preview: Fontsize 10pt
)

Package caption Warning: \caption will not be redefined since it's already
(caption)                redefined by a document class or package which is
(caption)                unknown to the caption package.
See the caption package documentation for explanation.

./test.tex:5: Package caption Error: The `subcaption' package does not work correctly
(caption)                in compatibility mode.

See the caption package documentation for explanation.
Type  H <return>  for immediate help.
 ...                                              
                                                  
l.5 \begin{document}
                  
./test.tex:6: Preview: Snippet 1 started.
<-><->
      
l.6 \begin{figure}
                
Preview: Tightpage -32891 -32891 32891 32891
./test.tex:8: Preview: Snippet 1 ended.(1205860+235932x22609920).
<-><->
      
l.8 \end{figure}
              
[1
Non-PDF special ignored!
Non-PDF special ignored!
Non-PDF special ignored!
Non-PDF special ignored!
Non-PDF special ignored!
Non-PDF special ignored!
Non-PDF special ignored!{/usr/local/texlive/2019basic/texmf-var/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map}])
(see the transcript file for additional information)
 403 words of node memory still in use:
   2 hlist, 1 vlist, 1 rule, 2 glue, 6 kern, 2 glyph, 5 attribute, 44 glue_spec, 5 attribute_list, 1 write nodes
   avail lists: 2:33,3:13,4:2,5:46,6:2,7:33,9:13,10:1,11:2
</usr/local/texlive/2019basic/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/public/lm/lmroman10-regular.otf>
Output written on test.pdf (1 page, 3416 bytes).
Transcript written on test.log.

TeX Output exited as expected with code 1 at Sat Jul  6 12:27:12
Running `Preview-DviPS' with ``dvips -Pwww test.dvi -o test.prv/tmpxjFQ1i/preview.ps''
This is dvips(k) 5.999 Copyright 2019 Radical Eye Software (www.radicaleye.com)
dvips: DVI file can't be opened: test.dvi: No such file or directory

Preview-DviPS exited abnormally with code 1 at Sat Jul  6 12:27:12
DviPS sentinel: Opening input file: No such file or directory, /Users/luke/Desktop/auctex-test/test.prv/tmpxjFQ1i/preview.ps

current state:
==============
(setq
 AUCTeX-version "12.1.2"
 LaTeX-command-style '((""
			"%(PDF)%(latex) %(file-line-error) %(extraopts) %S%(PDFout)")
		       )
 image-types '(png gif tiff jpeg xpm xbm pbm)
 preview-image-type 'png
 preview-image-creators '((dvipng
			   (open preview-gs-open preview-dvipng-process-setup)
			   (place preview-gs-place)
			   (close preview-dvipng-close))
			  (png (open preview-gs-open) (place preview-gs-place)
			   (close preview-gs-close))
			  (jpeg (open preview-gs-open)
			   (place preview-gs-place) (close preview-gs-close))
			  (pnm (open preview-gs-open) (place preview-gs-place)
			   (close preview-gs-close))
			  (tiff (open preview-gs-open)
			   (place preview-gs-place) (close preview-gs-close))
			  )
 preview-dvipng-image-type 'png
 preview-dvipng-command "dvipng -picky -noghostscript %d -o %m/prev%%03d.png"
 preview-pdf2dsc-command "pdf2dsc %s.pdf %m/preview.dsc"
 preview-gs-command "/Library/TeX/texbin/rungs"
 preview-gs-options '("-q" "-dDELAYSAFER" "-dNOPAUSE" "-DNOPLATFONTS"
		      "-dPrinted" "-dTextAlphaBits=4" "-dGraphicsAlphaBits=4")
 preview-gs-image-type-alist '((png png "-sDEVICE=png16m")
			       (dvipng png "-sDEVICE=png16m")
			       (jpeg jpeg "-sDEVICE=jpeg")
			       (pnm pbm "-sDEVICE=pnmraw")
			       (tiff tiff "-sDEVICE=tiff12nc"))
 preview-fast-conversion t
 preview-prefer-TeX-bb nil
 preview-dvips-command "dvips -Pwww -i -E %d -o %m/preview.000"
 preview-fast-dvips-command "dvips -Pwww %d -o %m/preview.ps"
 preview-scale-function 'preview-scale-from-face
 preview-LaTeX-command '("%`%l \"\\nonstopmode\\nofiles\\PassOptionsToPackage{"
			 ("," . preview-required-option-list)
			 "}{preview}\\AtBeginDocument{\\ifx\\ifPreview\\undefined" preview-default-preamble "\\fi}\"%' \"{\\detokenize{\" %t \"}}\"")
 preview-required-option-list '("active" "tightpage" "auctex"
				(preview-preserve-counters "counters"))
 preview-preserve-counters nil
 preview-default-option-list '("displaymath" "floats" "graphics" "textmath"
			       "sections" "footnotes")
 preview-default-preamble '("\\RequirePackage["
			    ("," . preview-default-option-list)
			    "]{preview}[2004/11/05]")
 preview-LaTeX-command-replacements nil
 preview-dump-replacements '(preview-LaTeX-command-replacements
			     ("\\`\\([^ ]+\\)\\(?: +\\(?:\\(--?kanji[= ][^ ]+\\)\\|-\\(?:[^ \\\"]\\|\\\\.\\|\"[^\"]*\"\\)*\\)\\)*\\(.*\\)\\'" "\\1 -ini \\2 -interaction=nonstopmode \"&\\1\" " preview-format-name ".ini \\3")
			     )
 preview-undump-replacements '(("\\`\\([^ ]+\\)\\(?: +\\(?:\\(--?kanji[= ][^ ]+\\)\\|-\\(?:[^ \\\"]\\|\\\\.\\|\"[^\"]*\"\\)*\\)\\)*.* \"\\\\input\" \"{\\\\detokenize{\" \\(.*\\) \"}}\"\\'" "\\1 \\2 -interaction=nonstopmode -file-line-error " preview-format-name " \"/AUCTEXINPUT{\" \\3 \"}\"")
			       )
 preview-auto-cache-preamble 'ask
 preview-TeX-style-dir "/Users/luke/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.2/latex"
 )

Output from running `/Library/TeX/texbin/rungs -h':
GPL Ghostscript 9.27 (2019-04-04)
Copyright (C) 2018 Artifex Software, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Usage: gs [switches] [file1.ps file2.ps ...]
Most frequently used switches: (you can use # in place of =)
 -dNOPAUSE           no pause after page   | -q       `quiet', fewer messages
 -g<width>x<height>  page size in pixels   | -r<res>  pixels/inch resolution
 -sDEVICE=<devname>  select device         | -dBATCH  exit after last file
 -sOutputFile=<file> select output file: - for stdout, |command for pipe,
                                         embed %d or %ld for page #
Input formats: PostScript PostScriptLevel1 PostScriptLevel2 PostScriptLevel3 PDF
Default output device: bbox
Available devices:
   alc1900 alc2000 alc4000 alc4100 alc8500 alc8600 alc9100 ap3250 atx23
   atx24 atx38 bbox bit bitcmyk bitrgb bitrgbtags bj10e bj10v bj10vh bj200
   bjc600 bjc800 bjc880j bjccmyk bjccolor bjcgray bjcmono bmp16 bmp16m
   bmp256 bmp32b bmpgray bmpmono bmpsep1 bmpsep8 ccr cdeskjet cdj1600 cdj500
   cdj550 cdj670 cdj850 cdj880 cdj890 cdj970 cdjcolor cdjmono cdnj500 cfax
   chp2200 cif cljet5 cljet5c cljet5pr coslw2p coslwxl declj250 deskjet
   devicen dfaxhigh dfaxlow display dj505j djet500 djet500c dl2100 dnj650c
   epl2050 epl2050p epl2120 epl2500 epl2750 epl5800 epl5900 epl6100 epl6200
   eplcolor eplmono eps2write eps9high eps9mid epson epsonc escp escpage
   faxg3 faxg32d faxg4 fmlbp fmpr fpng fs600 gdi gprf hl1240 hl1250 hl7x0
   hpdj1120c hpdj310 hpdj320 hpdj340 hpdj400 hpdj500 hpdj500c hpdj510
   hpdj520 hpdj540 hpdj550c hpdj560c hpdj600 hpdj660c hpdj670c hpdj680c
   hpdj690c hpdj850c hpdj855c hpdj870c hpdj890c hpdjplus hpdjportable ibmpro
   ijs imagen inferno ink_cov inkcov itk24i itk38 jetp3852 jj100 jpeg
   jpegcmyk jpeggray la50 la70 la75 la75plus laserjet lbp310 lbp320 lbp8
   lex2050 lex3200 lex5700 lex7000 lips2p lips3 lips4 lips4v lj250 lj3100sw
   lj4dith lj4dithp lj5gray lj5mono ljet2p ljet3 ljet3d ljet4 ljet4d
   ljet4pjl ljetplus ln03 lp1800 lp1900 lp2000 lp2200 lp2400 lp2500 lp2563
   lp3000c lp7500 lp7700 lp7900 lp8000 lp8000c lp8100 lp8200c lp8300c
   lp8300f lp8400f lp8500c lp8600 lp8600f lp8700 lp8800c lp8900 lp9000b
   lp9000c lp9100 lp9200b lp9200c lp9300 lp9400 lp9500c lp9600 lp9600s
   lp9800c lps4500 lps6500 lq850 lxm3200 lxm5700m m8510 md1xMono md2k
   md50Eco md50Mono md5k mgr4 mgr8 mgrgray2 mgrgray4 mgrgray8 mgrmono miff24
   mj500c mj6000c mj700v2c mj8000c ml600 necp6 npdl nullpage oce9050 oki182
   oki4w okiibm oprp opvp paintjet pam pamcmyk32 pamcmyk4 pbm pbmraw pcl3
   pclm pcx16 pcx24b pcx256 pcxcmyk pcxgray pcxmono pdfimage24 pdfimage32
   pdfimage8 pdfwrite pgm pgmraw pgnm pgnmraw photoex picty180 pj pjetxl
   pjxl pjxl300 pkm pkmraw pksm pksmraw plan plan9bm planc plang plank planm
   plib plibc plibg plibk plibm png16 png16m png256 png48 pngalpha pnggray
   pngmono pngmonod pnm pnmraw ppm ppmraw pr1000 pr1000_4 pr150 pr201
   ps2write psdcmyk psdcmyk16 psdcmykog psdrgb psdrgb16 pxlcolor pxlmono
   r4081 rinkj rpdl samsunggdi sj48 spotcmyk st800 stcolor t4693d2 t4693d4
   t4693d8 tek4696 tiff12nc tiff24nc tiff32nc tiff48nc tiff64nc tiffcrle
   tiffg3 tiffg32d tiffg4 tiffgray tifflzw tiffpack tiffscaled tiffscaled24
   tiffscaled32 tiffscaled4 tiffscaled8 tiffsep tiffsep1 txtwrite uniprint
   xcf xes xpswrite
Search path:
   /usr/local/Cellar/ghostscript/9.27/share/ghostscript/9.27/Resource/Init :
   /usr/local/Cellar/ghostscript/9.27/share/ghostscript/9.27/lib :
   /usr/local/Cellar/ghostscript/9.27/share/ghostscript/9.27/Resource/Font :
   /usr/local/Cellar/ghostscript/9.27/share/ghostscript/fonts :
   /usr/local/Cellar/ghostscript/9.27/share/fonts/default/ghostscript :
   /usr/local/Cellar/ghostscript/9.27/share/fonts/default/Type1 :
   /usr/local/Cellar/ghostscript/9.27/share/fonts/default/TrueType :
   /usr/lib/DPS/outline/base : /usr/openwin/lib/X11/fonts/Type1 :
   /usr/openwin/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType
For more information, see /usr/local/Cellar/ghostscript/9.27/share/doc/ghostscript/9.27/Use.htm.
Please report bugs to bugs.ghostscript.com.