Subject: bug#36517: 'guix deploy' does not restart services

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2019 22:43:22 +0200

Howdy!

[email-masked] (Jakob L. Kreuze) skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> [email-masked] (Jakob L. Kreuze) skribis:
>>
>>> This issue is described in more detail at [1]. Essentially, 'guix
>>> deploy' is will happily load and start new services, as well as unload
>>> obsolete services, but does nothing to restart valid services that are
>>> already running.
>>
>> That’s not a bug: ‘guix system reconfigure’ does not restart already
>> running services, simply because it cannot tell whether now is a good
>> time to restart them.  It’s a decision that’s left to the system
>> administrator.
>>
>> However, note that ‘guix system reconfigure’ loads “replacements” for
>> each Shepherd service, such that next time you run ‘herd restart FOO’,
>> you spawn that new version of FOO.
>>
>> Does that make sense?
>
> Yes, that does make sense. I suppose the way I worded the initial report
> wasn't great; I opened this to track support for 'restart-strategy' as
> described in #33508 in 'guix deploy'. This takes care of the question of
> when a good time to restart the service would be.

Oh, I see.  To me that’s completely orthogonal to ‘guix deploy’ though,
in that ‘guix system reconfigure’ and ‘guix deploy’ should use the same
code for that.

Thanks,
Ludo’.