Subject: 25.1; Tramp doesn't allow pasting passwords

From: "Connor, Adam J" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2019 17:37:48 +0000

Tramp does not seem to allow pasting in the password (ctrl-y),
which plays hell with those of us who have so many passwords
that we generate them randomly and use a password manager.
The "work-around" is to paste the password somewere, and try
to type it in manually. This obviously works less and less
well as the passwords get longer.

In GNU Emacs 25.1.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.11)
 of 2017-09-15, modified by Debian built on trouble
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11902000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 9.9 (stretch)

Configured using:
 'configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs25:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/25.1/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/25.1/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs25:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/25.1/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/25.1/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --with-x=yes --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
 -fdebug-prefix-map=/build/emacs25-wN2qS3/emacs25-25.1+1=. -fstack-protector-strong
 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time
 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS
NOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8

Major mode: YAML

Minor modes in effect:
  my-keys-minor-mode: t
  tabbar-mwheel-mode: t
  tabbar-mode: t
  global-nlinum-mode: t
  nlinum-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Tramp: Found remote shell prompt on ‘erpint-dmz-q01’
Tramp: Opening connection for erpint-dmz-q01 using ssh...done
Tramp: Inserting ‘/ssh:erpint-dmz-q01:/mnt/commons/apps/app009/project_config.yaml’...
Tramp: Encoding remote file ‘/ssh:erpint-dmz-q01:/mnt/commons/apps/app009/project_config.yaml’ with ‘base64 <%s’...done
Tramp: Decoding local file ‘/tmp/tramp.47178ldp.yaml’ with ‘base64-decode-region’...done
Tramp: Inserting ‘/ssh:erpint-dmz-q01:/mnt/commons/apps/app009/project_config.yaml’...done
Note: file is write protected

Tramp: Checking ‘vc-registered’ for /ssh:erpint-dmz-q01:/mnt/commons/apps/app009/project_config.yaml...done
Note: file is write protected

Load-path shadows:
~/.emacs.d/lib/tabbar-master/revive hides /home/adamc/.emacs.d/lib/revive
/home/adamc/.emacs.d/lib/dash hides /home/adamc/.emacs.d/elpa/dash-2.13.0/dash
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/site-lisp/debian-startup hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup
/home/adamc/.emacs.d/lib/indent hides /usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/indent
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/rst hides /usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/textmodes/rst

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail vc-git yaml-mode tramp-cache
conf-mode compile-utils venv-utils virtualenvwrapper-utils flymake-utils
tabbar revbufs fill-column-indicator nlinum linum virtualenvwrapper dash
vc-svn psvn derived log-edit message rfc822 mml mml-sec epg mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader pcvs-util add-log diff-mode
pp elp ediff-merg ediff-wind ediff-diff ediff-mult ediff-help ediff-init
ediff-util dired rdp-utils web-mode disp-table process-utils flymake
python tramp-sh json map compile cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus
cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs sgml-mode undo-tree
tramp tramp-compat auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core gnus-util mm-util
help-fns mail-prsvr password-cache tramp-loaddefs trampver ucs-normalize
shell pcomplete comint ansi-color ring format-spec advice pype-utils
env-utils ido edmacro kmacro ibuffer recentf tree-widget wid-edit
desktop frameset ajc-packages file-utils proj-utils s
exec-path-from-shell misterioso-theme util winbuf macro-utils
use-package cl-macs cl bind-key easy-mmode finder-inf info package
epg-config seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra help-mode
easymenu cconv cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib time-date mule-util tooltip
eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 435968 43469)
 (symbols 48 36830 0)
 (miscs 40 682 299)
 (strings 32 82084 10327)
 (string-bytes 1 2455578)
 (vectors 16 52903)
 (vector-slots 8 970990 12666)
 (floats 8 806 433)
 (intervals 56 1162 1000)
 (buffers 976 23))