Subject: Re: bug#36511: extraneous recompiles of scm files while editing gnu/packages/

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2019 22:50:24 +0200

Hi,

Robert Vollmert <[email-masked]> skribis:

> The suggestion was that the default workflow should be to compile the
> scheme files using `make`. That does avoid the recompile spam, but:
>
> - adding a scheme file requires going through
>   1. edit Makefile.am
>   2. call bootstrap
>   3. call configure, remembering the mystery localstatedir argument
>   4. call make, waiting through documentation and nix-daemon compiles

You only have to type ‘make’, nothing more.  ‘bootstrap’ and ‘configure’
only need to be invoked the first time.

> - I get random mysterious documentation builds throughout. E.g. just now:

I think ‘make’ is behaving as expected here, I don’t see anything
mysterious here.

> Let me know if these should be considered separate bugs worth filing.

Yeah, I think we should try to keep issues focused.  The issues you
reported are all important, but we need to boil them down to specific
problems we can address.

Thank you,
Ludo’.