Subject: Re: bug#36501: 26.2; (elisp) `Defining Minor Modes'

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2019 22:31:41 +0200

Drew Adams <[email-masked]> writes:

> But this doc says:
>
>   It puts the variable 'hungry-mode' into custom group 'hunger'.
>
> Does that happen?  Even if I define a `hunger' group before evaluating
> those `define-minor-mode' sexps I don't see that `M-x customize-group'
> gets you to variable `hungry-mode'.  But I didn't test much, e.g. with
> different `defgroup' definitions for group `hungry'.

I tested a bit, and I think you're right.

> My guess is that (1) `:group 'hunger' should be removed from the
> examples and (2) the doc should not say that variable `hungry-mode'
> is put "into custom group `hunger'.  It should not give the impression
> that var `hungry-mode' is a user option.

I've now done so.

> I also think it's not so important to show two full examples for the
> buffer-local mode, and it might be good to show an example for a global
> mode - perhaps even two: (1) using `define-minor-mode' and (2) using
> `define-globalized-minor-mode'.

The two examples are demonstrations of the short, non-explicit form and
the longer, explicit forms, so I think that's useful.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no