Subject: bug#36501: 26.2; (elisp) `Defining Minor Modes'

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2019 08:33:07 -0700 (PDT)

The examples defining `hungry-mode', and their descriptions, don't
seem completely correct.

Unless a minor mode is declared to be global, which `hungry-mode' is
not, I don't think it defines a user option.

But this doc says:

  It puts the variable 'hungry-mode' into custom group 'hunger'.

Does that happen?  Even if I define a `hunger' group before evaluating
those `define-minor-mode' sexps I don't see that `M-x customize-group'
gets you to variable `hungry-mode'.  But I didn't test much, e.g. with
different `defgroup' definitions for group `hungry'.

My guess is that (1) `:group 'hunger' should be removed from the
examples and (2) the doc should not say that variable `hungry-mode'
is put "into custom group `hunger'.  It should not give the impression
that var `hungry-mode' is a user option.

---

I also think it's not so important to show two full examples for the
buffer-local mode, and it might be good to show an example for a global
mode - perhaps even two: (1) using `define-minor-mode' and (2) using
`define-globalized-minor-mode'.

In GNU Emacs 26.2 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2019-04-13
Repository revision: fd1b34bfba8f3f6298df47c8e10b61530426f749
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.17134
Configured using:
 `configure --without-dbus --host=x86_64-w64-mingw32
 --without-compress-install 'CFLAGS=-O2 -static -g3''