Subject: Re: bug#36499: 26.2.90; file-error spinner-1.7.3.el, Bad Request

From: Brady Trainor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2019 13:06:44 -0700

On Fri, Jul 12 2019, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> So is the problem really that you can't access one of the package
> repositories when running within Docker?

Individually, Emacs seems able to access elpa.gnu and melpa. But
something about the transitive dependency seems to break. I've heard
speculation that this could be a race condition, but that's a bit over
my head.

With (package-install 'spinner), it works.

With (mapc 'package-install '(spinner lsp-java)), it works.

With (package-install 'lsp-java), it installs some dependencies
successfully, then gives the failure at spinner that I shared.

And yes, I've only been able to reproduce in Docker. One the one hand,
maybe this is a failure in how Docker is being set up. On the other
hand, maybe this is a pathological example of some imperfection in
Emacs.

Thank you!

-Brady

P.S. My usecase for Docker is mostly to have reproducible setup
instructions for local software, or providing minimal broken
examples. I.e., in the previous, I was trying to check on an editing
environment for Java. And rather than nix, Docker seemed more
approachable for collaborating on recipes.