Subject: bug#36496: [PATCH] Describe the rx notation in the lisp manual

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2019 19:59:47 -0400

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

  > > In the past, various practical factors have made rx somewhat inconvenient,
  > > and that prevented rx from competing with the regexp syntax.
  > > Recently we have made some improvements in rx; are they enough to
  > > make rx a real competitor for regexps?

  > I cannot answer the question without knowing which practical factors
  > made rx inconvenient in the past.  Where can one find this
  > information?

I don't know.  I think people discussed it in the
past -- perhaps on emacs-devel.  I don't remember details.

What's clear is that rx didn't replace regexp syntax in the past.
There had to be reasons.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation (https://gnu.org, https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)