Subject: bug#36490: 26.1; directory-files-recursively breaks when it encounters a directory named "~"

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2019 17:05:49 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> "~/" is not, and never will be, a valid file name in any OS that Emacs
>> is going to support from now on.
>
> I don't think I follow you.  "~" is a perfectly valid name of a
> directory, and Emacs does support such names in general.  So I don't
> think I understand why you are saying this will not be a valid file
> name.  What did I miss?

"~" and "~/" are not the same thing in any OS that Emacs is currently
supporting.  The first is a file name (including directories, which are
just files), while the second is a file name with a slash after it.

Inside Emacs, though, things are different.

>> But changing that is probably not going to happen, so how about just
>> clarifying the documentation in that function to say what "~" means
>> explicitly instead of the caller having to guess?
>
> I don't object to documenting this.

OK; I'll do so.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no