Subject: Re: bug#36490: 26.1; directory-files-recursively breaks when it encounters a directory named "~"

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2019 18:27:28 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> > If you want "~" to be interpreted literally, you need to protect it
>> > with "/:".
>> 
>> Sorry; I don't quite follow you here.  The doc string says that "~/" is
>> interpreted specially.  There's no "/" in "~".  :-)
>
> But it does NOT say that "~" will NOT be interpreted specially.

I think it's a good idea to specify what strings will be interpreted
specially -- otherwise it's a bit difficult to use that function.

>> is fine, because "~/" isn't a valid file name.  But "~" is, and that's
>> the problem.
>
> No, I think the problem is that the caller should have protected the
> literal "~", as I said.

Any function that iterates over a list of directory files (as returned
by directory-files) would then have to quote whatever it passes to
expand-file-name -- or avoid that function completely.  That seems like
an odd design.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no