Subject: Re: bug#36484: c-mode hangs on macro with comment

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2019 08:22:10 +0000

Hello, Nicholas.

On Thu, Jul 04, 2019 at 12:08:14 -0500, Nicholas Drozd wrote:
> Works for me!

That's great, thanks.  I'm closing the bug with this post.

> Attached is a patch for an added cc-mode test case. 

The patch works fine, too, thanks.  But I got bogged down on the
copyright assignment sort of things for the patch.

Have you signed copyright assignment papers for Emacs?  (I think you
have, judging by the number of commits in your name, but I don't know
where to look to check.)

Otherwise, it would appear that your patch is a "trivial" patch, in that
it is less than 15 lines long.  But I think that only applies when the
total number of lines you've contributed to Emacs is less than about 15.

So, sorry about all this non-creative stuff, but would you please tell
me whether or not you've signed an Emacs copyright assignment.  Then I
should be able to commit your patch.

> By the way, I came across this issue because a similar line appears in
> a winning entry to the 1988 International Obfuscated C Code Contest
> (https://www.ioccc.org/1988/dale.c). That line is included in the test
> case.

> Trivia question: which Emacs maintainer is a past IOCCC winner?

I don't know (and haven't cheated by researching it ;-), but if I had to
guess, I'd say Paul Eggert.

[ snip patch ].

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).