Subject: bug#36483: 12.1.2; 'lacheck' and 'chktex' results not recongnized by compilation mode when filename has spaces

From: Ikumi Keita <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2019 20:24:36 +0900

Hi Gustavo,

>>>>> Gustavo Barros <[email-masked]> writes:
> Currently 'lacheck' and 'chktex' results are not recognized as errors
> or warnings by compilation mode if the document’s filename has
> spaces.  This causes navigation through the errors with "C-x `"
> ('next-error'), as described in AUCTeX’s documentation not to work.

AUCTeX doesn't deal with the output of those commands (actually, all
commands associated with `TeX-run-compile' in `TeX-command-list') at all
and leaves them entirely to compilation-mode of Emacs.

I think that compilation-mode is not ready for file names with spaces,
at least for the output of lacheck and chktex.  It seems that the output
format of these commands are delt with the following entry in
`compilation-error-regexp-alist-alist':

    (comma
     "^\"\\([^,\" \n\t]+\\)\", line \\([0-9]+\\)\
\\(?:[(. pos]+\\([0-9]+\\))?\\)?[:.,; (-]\\( warning:\\|[-0-9 ]*(W)\\)?" 1 2 3 (4))

The regular expression in this entry excludes any space in the file name
explicitly.  I'm not sure whether this exclusion is mandatory for robust
operation of compilation-mode, but it might be worth for you to ask the
maintainer of compilation-mode ([email-masked], according to the
header of compile.el) to accept file names with spaces.

Regards,
Ikumi Keita