Subject: 12.1.2; 'lacheck' and 'chktex' results not recongnized by compilation mode when filename has spaces

From: Gustavo Barros <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2019 21:19:45 -0300

Currently 'lacheck' and 'chktex' results are not recognized as errors or
warnings by compilation mode if the document’s filename has spaces.  This
causes navigation through the errors with "C-x `" ('next-error'), as described
in AUCTeX’s documentation not to work.

Steps to reproduce:

Run =emacs -Q=.

For standard setup, eval:
#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(package-initialize)
(setq TeX-auto-save t)
(setq TeX-parse-self t)
#+end_src

Find file named "filename with spaces.tex" with following contents (just to
generate some issues with the checkers):

#+begin_export latex
\documentclass{article}

\begin{document}

Some "sentence" with some WORDS.

\begin{tabular}{
  c
  c
  }
  1 & 2 \\
  3 & 4 \\
\end{tabular}

\end{document}
#+end_export

Then run "C-c C-c" Check and "C-c C-c" ChkTeX.

In either case, compilation mode will not identify errors or warnings in the
output, and "C-x `" and "M-g p" will echo, respectively, "Moved past last
error" and "Moved back before first error".

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 26.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.30)
 of 2019-04-19
Package: 12.1.2

current state:
==============
(setq
 AUCTeX-date "2019-02-08"
 window-system 'x
 LaTeX-version "2e"
 TeX-style-path '("~/.emacs.d/auctex" 
 "/home/gustavo/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.2/style"
		  "/home/gustavo/.emacs.d/auctex/auto" 
		  "/home/gustavo/.emacs.d/auctex/style" "auto" "style")
 TeX-auto-save t
 TeX-parse-self t
 TeX-master t
 TeX-command-list '(("TeX" "%(PDF)%(tex) %(file-line-error) %`%(extraopts) 
 %S%(PDFout)%(mode)%' %t" TeX-run-TeX
		     nil (plain-tex-mode ams-tex-mode texinfo-mode) :help "Run 
		     plain TeX")
		    ("LaTeX" "%`%l%(mode)%' %T" TeX-run-TeX nil (latex-mode 
		    doctex-mode) :help "Run LaTeX")
		    ("Makeinfo" "makeinfo %(extraopts) %t" TeX-run-compile nil 
		    (texinfo-mode) :help
		     "Run Makeinfo with Info output")
		    ("Makeinfo HTML" "makeinfo %(extraopts) --html %t" 
		    TeX-run-compile nil (texinfo-mode) :help
		     "Run Makeinfo with HTML output")
		    ("AmSTeX" "amstex %(PDFout) %`%(extraopts) %S%(mode)%' %t" 
		    TeX-run-TeX nil (ams-tex-mode)
		     :help "Run AMSTeX")
		    ("ConTeXt" "%(cntxcom) --once --texutil %(extraopts) 
		    %(execopts)%t" TeX-run-TeX nil
		     (context-mode) :help "Run ConTeXt once")
		    ("ConTeXt Full" "%(cntxcom) %(extraopts) %(execopts)%t" 
		    TeX-run-TeX nil (context-mode) :help
		     "Run ConTeXt until completion")
		    ("BibTeX" "bibtex %s" TeX-run-BibTeX nil t :help "Run 
		    BibTeX")
		    ("Biber" "biber %s" TeX-run-Biber nil t :help "Run Biber")
		    ("View" "%V" TeX-run-discard-or-function t t :help "Run 
		    Viewer")
		    ("Print" "%p" TeX-run-command t t :help "Print the file")
		    ("Queue" "%q" TeX-run-background nil t :help "View the 
		    printer queue" :visible
		     TeX-queue-command)
		    ("File" "%(o?)dvips %d -o %f " TeX-run-dvips t t :help 
		    "Generate PostScript file")
		    ("Dvips" "%(o?)dvips %d -o %f " TeX-run-dvips nil t :help 
		    "Convert DVI file to PostScript")
		    ("Dvipdfmx" "dvipdfmx %d" TeX-run-dvipdfmx nil t :help
		     "Convert DVI file to PDF with dvipdfmx")
		    ("Ps2pdf" "ps2pdf %f" TeX-run-ps2pdf nil t :help "Convert 
		    PostScript file to PDF")
		    ("Glossaries" "makeglossaries %s" TeX-run-command nil t 
		    :help
		     "Run makeglossaries to create glossary file")
		    ("Index" "makeindex %s" TeX-run-index nil t :help "Run 
		    makeindex to create index file")
		    ("upMendex" "upmendex %s" TeX-run-index t t :help "Run 
		    upmendex to create index file")
		    ("Xindy" "texindy %s" TeX-run-command nil t :help "Run 
		    xindy to create index file")
		    ("Check" "lacheck %s" TeX-run-compile nil (latex-mode) 
		    :help
		     "Check LaTeX file for correctness")
		    ("ChkTeX" "chktex -v6 %s" TeX-run-compile nil (latex-mode) 
		    :help
		     "Check LaTeX file for common mistakes")
		    ("Spell" "(TeX-ispell-document \"\")" TeX-run-function nil 
		    t :help "Spell-check the document")
		    ("Clean" "TeX-clean" TeX-run-function nil t :help "Delete 
		    generated intermediate files")
		    ("Clean All" "(TeX-clean t)" TeX-run-function nil t :help
		     "Delete generated intermediate and output files")
		    ("Other" "" TeX-run-command t t :help "Run an arbitrary 
		    command"))
 )