Subject: Re: Perhaps rearrange *Help* buffer a bit?

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2019 17:14:05 -0400

> I think Drew (or somebody?) mentioned this in a bug report the other
> day: The way the automated stuff is arranged in the *Help* buffer is
> perhaps not optimal.

>   This function has a compiler macro ‘internal--compiler-macro-cXXr’.
>   Probably introduced at or before Emacs version 20.
[...]
>   Probably introduced at or before Emacs version 1.2.
>   This function does not change global state, including the match data.
[...]
> So the thought here is that those indented lines isn't what's most
> interesting to the user.

I recently reworked the generation of this text specifically to try and
make it easier to tweak it.

> Anyway, what about rearranging this a bit so that the stuff the users
> are interested in comes first?
[...]
> Let the bike-shedding commence!

Here's my favorite color: 
- don't move it to the end, because it's much too far.
- hide it by default, with some obvious-enough button-like thingy to
  expand it on demand.
- maybe the first line could also be moved into this "metadata" block.
- These *Help* buffers would benefit from a bit of face-lift (e.g. put
  a different face on the metadata part, yet another on the
  calling-convention example, ...).

        Stefan