Subject: bug#36478: 26.2; Doc strings with "This function has a compiler macro..." and "This function does not change global state"

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2019 21:34:11 -0400

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

   > zerop is a compiled Lisp function in 'subr.el'.

   > (zerop NUMBER)

   > This function has a compiler macro 'zerop--anon-cmacro'.

   > Return t if NUMBER is zero.
   > This function does not change global state, including the match data.

The "compiler macro" line is useful for people debugging compilation,
but for Lisp programmers in general it is only clutter.

How about replacing that line with the text "(+ compiler macro)"
after "compiled Lisp function"?

That way it will still be easy to see when you're debugging
compilation, but the amount of clutter for everyone else will be less.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation (https://gnu.org, https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)