Subject: Re: [bug#36477] [PATCH v3 46/48] system: vm: Support cross-compilation.

From: Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2019 11:30:23 +0200

> Uh, passing ‘os’ to ‘system-linux-image-file-name’ never worked, right?

Right!

> All these inputs are added to $PATH just after, which shows that we run
> them natively.  Thus, they must all be native.
>
> IOW, all we have to do is replace #$ by #+.

Yes that's true for expression->derivation-in-linux-vm where inputs are
added to PATH an turned to be native-inputs.

> Same here: this is added to $PATH so it must be native.
>
>>             (let ((inputs
>> -                  '#$(append (list qemu parted e2fsprogs dosfstools)
>> +                  '#$(append (list util-linux parted e2fsprogs dosfstools)
>>                               (map canonical-package
>>                                    (list sed grep coreutils findutils gawk))))
>> +                 (native-inputs '#+(list qemu))
>
> Likewise.

However, here, those inputs are added to PATH, but this is the PATH on
the running VM, so they are supposed to be inputs and not native-inputs.

The issue I have is that qemu is not cross-compilable for now, plus it
is useless on the running VM. So I just removed it from both inputs
list.

Mathieu